Saturday, October 11, 2008

Coffee and Toothpaste

This has been one of those grrrrreat, mmmmmellow, rrrrrainy fall days during which I get nothing done and the leisure has no end. All I've done today is watch football. If there was a football-watching contest, I would have won.

I compiled a list of the teams I give a s*** about:
COLLEGE
1. CSU
2. Nebraska
-->(these two should be obvious)
3. Wisconsin
4. USC
-->(these are because of who goes to school here, BR and KH, respectively)
5. Ohio State
6. Michigan
7. Tennessee
-->(these I only mildly care about)
8. Oklahoma
9. CU
-->(these are the teams that I always want to lose)
NFL
1. Denver Broncos
2. Indianapolis Colts
-->(obviously)
3. New York Giants
-->(mostly because of Katie)
4. New England Patriots
-->(the team I most love to hate)

Given this data, it's clear that I have endured a rough day in football. CSU, Nebraska, Wisco, Michigan and Tennessee all lost. Mercifully, so did Oklahoma and CU. USC and Ohio State pulled off wins, but that's little comfort.

My fantasy team is sucking, too. I started off spectacularly well (especially given my rookie FF status) and have since lost 3 straight contests. I'm playing my cousin Rick this weekend, though, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to crush him. Come on, Jason Campbell!!

Speaking of Rick, I've been meaning to upload this video:

We were in Estes Park in August for a family reunion, and Rick was WILD. He played this game and "hand tennis" (more hand abuse) with everyone in the room and basically destroyed us, so when Amy finally started to kick his ass we documented it. (This was right after he walked into a glass sliding door at full speed. Twice.)
*
I found this on Facebook today, and for once I have a reason to smile about economics:
If you purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.
If you purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.
If you purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.
But if you purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the aluminum cans for a recycling refund, you will have $214.00.
Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle. It is called the '401-Keg.'
A recent study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found that Americans drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means that, on average, Americans get about 41 miles to the gallon!
*Christian has recently begun calling Dad by his first name. Seriously. What 14-year-old yells "Riiiick!" from his room? This development comes after his last trick: walking around the house yelling, "Ma, the meatloaf!" Courtney discovered that he dissolves in fits of giggles at the mention of almost any Will Ferrell line. If I hear "Dear Lord Baby Jesus" next, I'm going to get suspicious.
*
I shouldn't have written yesterday about what I was doing last night, because of course it didn't live up to my expectations. And I threatened EG with writing about it after the fact, so now I have to. Suffice it to say that:
-I was reminded that I have incredible friends - EW and Courto went above and beyond
-The world is a very, very small place
-I love running into people I know (BS, WD, JC, JN, SO, etc)
and
-I love the snow.
EG is a cupcake, even if he'd rather go dancing in a dive bar than kick back with the rest of us in the basement of the Steakout. He doesn't know how great I think he is. He's really great.
*
One last thing before I get too carried away with this post (oh, hell, I'm already too carried away with it):
I ran into these guys at the Steakout last night:
It reminded me how spectacular/remarkable/ethereal/awesome our trip to Utah was in January.
I'm really blessed to have so many quality people in my life.

2 comments:

Kat(i)e said...

I am-
a) slightly pissed you didn´t tell me about the blogging.
b) realize that´s ridiculous because you only started about a week ago, if that.
c) am super excited about it!
d) think we should be blogging buddies...at least until december.
e) miss you like crazy tonight.
LOVE!
Your bestest cousin twin

Karen S said...

Kelsey, My dearest niece, what about University of Texas Football. Numero Uno and also the home school of your favorite aunt Karen. I think it should be in your top 5 at least...