Monday, December 1, 2008

Necessary

I mean this seriously, not sarcastically: I love that all of the women up here - the natives, the aging hippie ones in their late 40s and early 50s who moved here when they were my age and haven't been able to get away but instead raise their kids in Basalt and work salaried jobs for the mountain and wear more Patagonia than I do and eat lunch with the lifties - have deep lines in their faces from sun, wind, laughing for too long and living the right way. By comparison, my Auntie Brenda is the same age and is also radiantly gorgeous - her skin is clear and bright and happy, and also moisturized since she's lived in Boston all her life. I guess I just find something really strikingly beautiful about that cracked, orange peel, lived-in rugged look that only Colorado women achieve.
*
I'm amazed at how nice the people are here. At the post office today, the three dudes (if you saw them you'd understand why I refer to them as such) working behind the counter knew everyone's name but my own...ostensibly because I'd never been there before. When I left, the one who helped me said, "Hey, I'll see you around!"
*
This is hard to believe, I'm sure, but I think I'm going to invest in a pair of Uggs...strictly for their functionality. They're standard attire up here and it's clear why: the ground is covered in snow, and it's cold. So far my trusty little Merrills are not cutting it, because I'm perpetually cold and wet. And none of the aforementioned über-women parade around in Uggs and miniskirts, by the way.
*
Matthew 28:20 - "And remember, I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

No comments: