Sunday, November 30, 2008

Adiós, Noviembre

I'm going to try - really, legitimately try - to make this short & sweet.
*
My new home is so incredibly beautiful. (Above, tattered prayer flags in some bushes up the road from my apartment; below, the Aspen Chapel, a 30-second walk from my front door.)
*
Getting here yesterday was an adventure. A pissy one, actually. The drive that usually takes around four hours instead lasted a whopping 9 hours & 30 minutes. Needless to say, I was ultra-sick of the radio, all 6 CDs in my car and my entire iPod by the time I arrived. The whole trip was an inverse moment, or a moment's total antithesis - I would have given anything to be anywhere else doing anything else with anyone, period. I was lonely in the car. Mercifully a lot of my people were available to talk; I got all caught up with KK, left a voicemail for KH, talked to Mom for a bit and whined at CC for a loooong while. (He was very sweetly worried about me driving in the snow - he kept saying things like "Drive safe hunny, please?" Aww.)
*
I went for the most spectacular run tonight. (Shh, don't tell Mom - she worries when I run in the dark.) I left the house around 5 expecting to drag myself down the road for 10 minutes before turning around, but I ran all the way to the edge of town before heading back - I think I turned around after about 30 minutes. It was probably 30* outside and there wasn't a ton of traffic; in fact, unlike Fort Collins, Aspen has a pretty bomber sidewalk system. The sole obstacle I hadn't planned on was how slippery the roads were. It became kind of a game: if I step on that black patch, is it going to be a) dry pavement, b) a puddle or c) black ice? I may stick metal spikes in my running shoes à la snow tires. We'll see.

No comments: