Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Five inches in four hours and counting

Snow is pouring forth from the sky. I'm so excited I could spit - FINALLY, a decent snowfall in Snowmass!
*
Yesterday at "work," I got to play fetch with a 2-year old black lab named Dante for almost an hour. (Aside to JS & AS: Dante was about twice the size of Dally and had at least twice the energy, if you can believe it.) Then, after lunch (which is provided every day for all employees of the Treehouse), I spent the whole afternoon on my skis. I was working, but we managed to fit in about four runs, too. Life is rough. :)
*
Katie is home. I am so, so glad.
*
My naivete just bit me in the butt. Again. When I moved into this place, I was SO excited to live very close to the Aspen Chapel, the most charming little stone church you've ever seen. My first night here I marched up there to scope out the times for their services; as it turns out, they have a Sunday morning service at 9:30 and a Friday evening Shabbat. I was psyched, because I have to be at work on Sunday by 8 but I'm free as a bird Friday evenings. Yeah, well, so much for that. I came home and Wikipediad "Shabbat," only to learn that "shabbat" is hebrew for "sabbath" - as in, my new Friday church service is actually Jewish. Whoops. I suppose there's a mixed blessing there in that I didn't actually show up for one. :)
*
So I went to the liquor store tonight to get a bottle of wine (this is how you go on dates when you and your significant other live 400 miles apart - both of you buy a bottle of Pinot Noir at the same time, go home and have a glass together...over the phone) and on the drive home I realized that I don't have a corkscrew. Well, crap. These are the kinds of realizations I come to on a daily basis living in this teacup-sized apartment - I want pizza, but I can't have pizza because I don't have an oven. I can't bring my uniform home from work because I literally don't have the space for it. Obviously I have the space for a corkscrew, but...I just don't have one. Anyway, as I'm pulling into the parking lot (which, mind you, is about 1/4 a mile from my front door) I was debating whether to a) turn around and go buy one, b) gamble and hope that AB (my roommate) had one, or c) just break the top off the bottle (very risky, naturally)...and then EUREKA! I remembered that my trusty Leatherman could do the job. I was much more excited than the situation warranted, I promise you that.
*
I'm honestly amazed at how inexpensive everything is here. Aspen is not living up to its reputation. There's a silver lining, eh?

No comments: