Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday

Monday was my cousin Tom's 16th birthday. At about 11pm, I called him and left a voicemail that went something like this:
"Happy, happy, happy birthday, Tom! This is Kelsey. I'm sorry it's taken me until eleven to call you and wish you a happy birthday. I've been thinking about you all day and just haven't called. I'm so thankful you were born, and I love that both of our birthdays are in December. I never need to be reminded that it's your birthday on December first, actually, because - actually, I don't think I've ever told you this story - but when you were born, I was in second grade and the day you were born I got up in front of the whole class and made an announcement that I had a new cousin and everybody clapped. And I'll never forget that I'm seven years and 345 days older than you because of that. Anyway, I hope you had a great day, and I love you and I'll talk to you soon." Tom sent me a Facebook message the next day saying that he got my message, and thank you, and it took him almost his whole drive to school to listen to the whole thing.
*
I just completed my very first legitimate 40-hour work week (not counting camp, since...well, it's just different). Five days into it, I can honestly say I love this job. I already love the other people working in the Treehouse and I've met maybe 1/8 of the total staff. I ski every day. I've met kids from around the globe - Slovenia, South Africa, Russia, Peru, Argentina, Boston (heh). Aspen and Snowmass are both stunning. I'm a lucky girl.
*
The guy in front of me at the grocery store tonight bought a box of saltines, a half-gallon of chocolate milk and a sixer of Corona. AB says that's what happens "when these Latinos come up here and their mothers have been cooking for them their whole lives."

No comments: