Friday, April 3, 2009

At least if I'm ever paralyzed, I can say I used it while I had the chance.

These past few weeks, I've been pretty hard on my body. I haven't treated it like a temple so much as like a dish rag. For instance:
-I've had a raging case of Bronchitis since maybe mid-January. Like any good virus infecting an obliging host like myself, it'll go away for a couple of weeks if I'm especially healthy, but then returns full-force once I'm back to my normal (read: over-exerting, sleep-deprived, generally dehydrated) routine. We've almost gotten to be friends, this disease and I. This week I'm sick enough to garner a fair bit of sympathy but not enough to warrant sitting around.
-Tuesday night I tripped in heels and fell. It was ugly, a classic spread-eagle-splayed-out-on-cobblestone face plant. I landed on my right knee first (it's now a rainbow of pretty blues, purples and greens) and hurt my left hand something fierce.
-Wednesday night I played volleyball at the Snowmass Rec Center (more on that later) and beat myself to a pulp. Aside from further jamming a number of fingers and sliding across the wood floor on my already-injured right knee, I worked up some lactic acid in muscles I haven't used in a while (as volleyball uses muscles not primarily involved in skiing or running).
-I hiked Highlands Bowl twice yesterday with a couple of pals. Given the maladies I've already described (lungs full of fluid and a knee that won't bend), it actually wasn't hard, but I warned my buddies beforehand that I couldn't hike too fast due to the risk of the virus traveling to my heart and killing me. They looked at me like I was insane, which I probably was - if I'm too sick to run in the gym, why the crap did I think it was a good idea to hike to 12,392' with a pair of skis on my back? It seemed like a good idea yesterday, and I was extra-conscious of keeping my heart rate down, but...maybe it was too risky.
*
"The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating - in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life." - Anne Morriss, from 'The Way I See It #76' on the side of a Starbucks cup
*
I have had such a great couple of weeks. First Rando, Karen, Katie, Tom and my whole family (minus Christian) came to visit, and then BB showed up unexpectedly for a few days. I had SUCH a good time with all of them. Yay, life!
*
I wish I didn't look so ridiculous with black nail polish. I think it's cool, but it definitely doesn't think I'm cool.
*
I have a lot of Facebook friends, largely because a) I'm very friendly and b) I'm very Facebook-addicted. I don't often think twice about friending people I've only hung out with a couple of times. I see Facebook as more of a networking tool than a "these are my best and closest friends" online scrapbook, and hey, if I would recognize you on the street and we'd stop and talk for a few minutes, why shouldn't we be Facebook friends? Here's my beef: I think I've hit a sort of glass ceiling of Facebook friends - like, I honestly think people (from high school, past jobs, whatever) see how many friends I have, think that I'm just trying to collect the most, and decide to un-friend me out of spite. That's not my intention at all! It makes me sad.
*
I take a bus to work every day. On Tuesday, I saw this:
and all I could think of was, 'yep, only in Snowmass.'
Then on Wednesday (April Fool's Day), I saw this:
and all I could think of was, 'yep, only in Snowmass.' :)
*
Yesterday marked my 100th ski day of the season. It was also my 100th day on the snow without an injury. Hooray! I thought my ACLs would be history by now. That's really the only reason I have health insurance.
*
The other day I had to explain the difference between a vegetarian and a veterinarian to a six-year-old. I feel this begs the question: are most veterinarians also vegetarians? I think they should be. I mean...wouldn't you feel weird eating a steak if you knew all about that particular muscle tissue?
*
Eve 6's song "Inside Out" was played in a recent episode of "This American Life." Rad.
*
My buddy BC, on helping his friend move out of her very dirty apartment: "This place was so full of shit - sauce, hair... There was a Red Bull in the fridge, though. That was nice."
*
I might be drawn and quartered for this, but I'm thrilled that Jay Cutler was traded yesterday. Good riddance! I think he's an embarrassment to Denver, and as my buddy JA pointed out, there's already a No Pit Bull law in Denver and Michael Vick is almost out of the pokey...
*
This volleyball league at the Rec Center is AWESOME! I found out about it only a few weeks ago (which is a shame) but I haven't missed a Wednesday night there since. It's just drop-in, but the same people come every week, and they're all really good. One girl used to play at the Junior Olympics level; a couple of kiwi guys played back home; one guy has such a mean spike that the stitching on the ball left a bruise on my arms when I dug it (but I dug it! That's what counts!!). I finally have my serve back, and last week I served eight straight points. It's like playing Norco back in high school, minus the politics and crazy-late-night practices.
*
Katie introduced me to my new favorite website (heads up, F-bomb) - www.thefuckingweather.com - it is, as she calls it, "useful genius." The funniest part is the sarcastic comment in 6-point italic font just below the declaration. Check it out. Laugh with me.
*
The Target in Glenwood Springs, by my rough estimation, is twice the size of the one in Fort Collins. Twice! It even has a Starbucks inside of it (hello, mothership!). And I can't wait until these rainboots go on sale (because in Colorado, I really can't justify paying $25 for rainboots, even though they're really cute and I'd probably wear them when it's dry too):
*
I bought this black Burton base layer for nutso cheap at the Four Mountain Sports sale last week, and me thinks the cloth from whence it came wasn't washed before Burton made the garment, because after wearing it my skin and sports bra have this interesting navy-blue pallor to them that doesn't easily wash off.
*
I haven't brushed my hair in almost two months. No, really - I wash it every day, use a bunch of conditioner (Aveda Rosemary Mint, mmmm) and all the tangles just kind of fall out. I run my fingers through it, either blowdry it or braid it, and call it good. It's weird, because it's gotten SO long - more than halfway down my back at least - but I don't seem to need much more maintenance than that.
*
I overheard AB tell a mutual friend the other day that we are each other's sanity. She said she was sure we both would have gone crazy this year without living together. Amen, sister!
*
Not to be über brand-conscious - or to brag - but right now I'm wearing an IceBreaker top, Prana pants, a Patagonia vest, SmartWool Socks and Keens. I'm a girl after my OWN heart.
*
Tomorrow is my darling sister's 23rd birthday. Call her and wish her a good one, okay? Her number is the same as mine but with a 7 in place of the 6.

2 comments:

jess said...

kelsey. you made my day with this post. i truly enjoyed it. every word!

mcassidy25 said...

I love reading your blog!! So many adventures and hilarious insights:)