Saturday, February 5, 2011

Earthquakes

More unexpected sparks for your reading pleasure!
*
Last night AJS brought home two pounds of Concord grapes - the same kind that Welch's uses for their juice. We threw them through the juicer and drank the most amazing, so-purple-it-was-almost-black grape juice, then puzzled over what to do with all the mashed-up grape pulp. Not wanting to toss it in the compost, DW suggested we make it into a coffee cake, which we baked this morning:
Ta-da! They tasted just like blueberries! We're on to something.
*
Our apartment building was constructed in 1913. Our walls are the funkiest drywall. They crumble like goat cheese whenever I hang stuff on them, which is annoying. DW pointed out today that we should be more careful about the things we have on the walls and our bookshelves because of the earthquake risk (something I had completely forgotten to consider), but also mentioned - aha! - that our apartment has been through TONS of earthquakes and is still in great shape, so we don't have to worry.
*
My creative Theological Teaching seminar has 24 students. Among them are citizens of Romania, Poland, Cuba, Cameroon, Belgium, Germany, Spain, and India.
*
COREPOWER YOGA IS OPEN!
*
Last night's First Friday event at school was card-game themed. I brought seven decks of cards (none of which I purchased - they found their way into my possession. How did I end up with so many decks?!) and taught six of my friends how to play Nertz. It was SO MUCH FUN! It reminded me of being a kid at my grandparents' house, when all of my relatives would play Nertz together on the dining room table. What a happy childhood I had.

No comments: