Sunday, March 7, 2010

'Bout that time, eh chaps?

Let's just get right into it.
*
Outside Magazine recently published a list of "51 Perfect Things" - an Editors' Choice sort of thing that was so perfect, so absolutely flawless, I can't help but write about it. Except I can't write about it. Any comments I create can't do it justice. Just read the list yourself and know that it makes my heart flutter a little bit. It's right here.
*
I'm vegan now. The details as to how and why are totally mundane, so let's just pretend it's because a sparkly mermaid told me that eliminating animal products from my diet would make the world a little happier. It's not at all an ethical thing...just a health thing. The first couple of days were sort of complicated - more than once, I had goldfish or yogurt raisins or something in my hand and realized I couldn't eat it - but now I couldn't be happier with the change. My energy level is through the roof! My caffeine consumption has been cut by 2/3, my skin looks better, I'm sleeping better. I recommend it...and allrecipes.com.
*
A couple of weeks ago at our SkiCo bowling party (at El Jebowl - I love that name), I sat down next to my friend AG and asked, "How was skiing today? Wait - that's too easy. Give me your answer in Haiku." He took the bait, thinking for a second with his hand on his face, before responding thus:
"It was sort of good
This one girl sucked really bad
Wished I'd been alone."
*
Lately I've had the great fortune of enjoying long conversations and frequent Facebook back-and-forths with a dear old friend. RC and I talked for well over an hour last week about all kinds of things - school, concerts & music, past relationships, dogs - and we've traded messages since. Even now - even at 25, with what I think is a more-aware-than-ever-before brain and an acute appreciation of life's blessings - I am still shocked that God has given me so many friends who care SO MUCH about me.
*
I'm watching the Oscars right now, and Jeff Bridges just won for Best Actor, and I'm so excited for him.
*
Best Recent Quotes, Edition 4 (I think):
"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse would be pretending I'm not excited." - my coworker BW
"I bet my unicorn could RUN faster!" - AE, a fellow instructor, on the Austrian skier who set the world record for speed on skis at about 140mph
"Hey Kels, did I leave a loaf of bread on your car yesterday?" - my delightfully oddball friend MS after a trip to the grocery store in mi coche
"I tried maté one time. I thought it tasted like drinking cigarettes." - AB's friend
"I feel like Robert Downey Jr, and I'm just waking up in rehab." - my dear friend JH after a big night on the town
*
Forget wanting to look just like Helen Mirren when I'm 65. I want to look like her NOW. Even though her dress looks like the one I wore to senior prom, she's radiant.
*
AB calls the Snowmass Police Department the "playground patrol." There are no real laws here.
*
At Good Shepherd, in the Lord's Prayer, instead of saying "Lead us not into temptation," we say, "Save us in the time of trial." Save us IN the time of trial. I LOVE that. The time of trial exists - it has happened, it is happening, it will happen again. We don't want God to save us FROM it; we want to be aware of God's presence IN it. I love being Lutheran.
*
So the weirdest things kept happening to me last week. It started when, on Wednesday night at Regal, a South African guy with whom AB works took off all of his clothes whilst on the dance floor. All of them! He was completely naked, and no one except me and the guy with whom I was dancing seemed to care!! Also, later in the night, the same dude punched me in the face as he was being hauled out of the bar, and honestly I found it really funny. (Come on. A South African guy took off all of his clothes on the dance floor at Regal and then punched me in the face. There's a lot of humor there.) Then the next day at Snowmass, I saw a guy skiing with his helmet on BACKWARDS. And then later that day, I saw a coyote at the post office.
*
Last Sunday was our Rookie Party.
The theme this year was "Angels & Demons," and because I'm no longer a rookie I have no idea how or why the party planning committee picked that. Nor do I care. It was such a blast, so ridiculously fun, and I got to make my own wings and sort of be the belle of the ball for a little while and my friends were hilarious and everyone was there and we danced and drank free Fat Tire all night and I was still in bed by 1am so work the next day didn't suck that badly. I honestly don't think a single person at the party had as much fun as I did.
*
HIGHLANDS last week was also super fun.
And in retrospect, there's not much to say about it, except that the snow was amazing, my friends were a lot of fun to ski with, and I felt ridiculously happy to be alive - and lucky to live where I do. Cheers.
*
I've been listening to a few songs on repeat lately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pro3bpx2SD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E22HprMQN8M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDYq8-3wta0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYQ_lse44gQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFaenf1T-Y
*
I'm just really, really, really grateful. I love my life.

1 comment:

Formore said...

You express yourself beautifully.
Gratitude and love are some of the best expressions we can give selflessly. Contemplate this.