Saturday, July 25, 2009

Grandma's 80th Birthday Party

I figured that at least once I should keep my promise to write an additional entry on a certain topic when I declare that I will. Grandma's birthday was May 31st, and all of the Schleuseners (I don't think we were missing a single person...?) celebrated together the weekend prior. I'm gonna let some pictures do most of the talking:
As it was Mom's birthday too, and as she will only eat Whole Foods' berry chantilly cake for her birthday, and as there is no Whole Foods anywhere near South Dakota, and as her progeny are especially crafty, the Dad-Kelseroo-Courto team concocted a plan to smuggle TWO cakes to the party and surprise Mom with it. It wasn't easy, but we pulled it off. I ordered, picked up, and packed the cakes in the car without her having any idea, and the look on her face when we pulled them out to sing to her was priceless. The picture above: our gigantic cooler under a bunch of pillows in the back of the Yukon XL.Meet Moose, our cousins' new dog. Adorable, right? He held my attention for most of the weekend.Rick had a baseball game on Thursday afternoon, right as we pulled into Rapid.On Friday, we golfed. Rando organized a scramble (is that what we'd call it?) at a course just outside Rapid; Courto and Amy and Katie and I, Aunt Kathy and Susie, Michael, Tom and all the uncles played. Poor Kathy and Susie got stuck playing with us four girls, which I'm sure was a huge drag because a) they're really good and b) we'd never played. Ever. We didn't suck that badly, but we also didn't take it seriously for even a minute. And on the whole it was way more fun to drive the carts around than actually hit the ball.Like Babe Ruth, but for golf. And I nailed this shot. I think it's all thanks to that horrible yellow polo shirt.
Then on Saturday, Katie and I hosted "Grandma's Birthday Fun Run," a family road race born from our desire to run a half marathon that weekend. Since there wasn't one in Rapid, we made one: we plotted a course, printed and laminated signs to post mileage, hopped on our bikes at the crack of dawn Saturday to post them, then ran 10 miles. (Turns out, we couldn't really safely run a full 13 on that edge of Rapid.) Almost all 50-some odd Schleuseners ran/walked/biked at least part of the course. Our tagline, "You can't pick your family, but you can pick your distance!", was on the back of our teeshirts (Karen headed that project). I think that was my favorite part of the weekend.
After the race, Katie, Courto, Mom, Amy, Karen and I had a mojito party on Rando and Karen's deck. And then we napped, showered, and had Grandma's birthday dinner, followed (of course) by Big Jefe's movie.
Sunday was church and brunch, then departures. I cried when everyone left. I like having everyone together, and I don't know when we'll all be back under one roof again, and it makes me sad.

No comments: